Ahmed Almomani, MD, FACC, FSCAI
Advanced Interventional & Structural Cardiologist
Dr Almomani is as an Assistant Professor of Medicine and an Interventional Structural Cardiologist. He graduated from the medical school at Jordan University of Science and Technology with honors, after which he moved to the United States to seek further training. He completed his residency training in internal medicine At the University of Texas Medical Branch, and fellowships in Cardiovascular Medicine and Interventional Cardiology at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and the Arkansas Heart Hospital. He then joined Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute seeking additional advanced training in interventional cardiology with focus on structural and valvular heart disease interventions like transcatheter valve replacement. Throughout his training, Dr Almomani was able to achieve multiple awards in education and research. During his time at the University of Texas Medical Branch, he was awarded The Thayer Award for Excellence in Teaching by the dean after he was nominated by his medical students. Dr Almomani has also contributed to multiple publications in high impact journals and presented his research in national and international meetings. He has a strong commitment for an academic career and is extremely motivated and determined to help expand our structural and valve disease program. Dr Almomani is board certified in Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Medicine, Interventional Cardiology, Echocardiography, and Nuclear Cardiology.
• Jordan University of Science & Technology
• University of Texas Medical Branch
• University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences/Arkansas Heart Hospital
• Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute
1. Megaly M, Abraham B, Saad M, Omer M, Elbadawi A, Tawadros M, Khalil C, Nairoz R, Almomani A, Sengupta J, Kalra A, Brilakis E, Gafoor S. Impact of atrial fibrillation on the outcomes after MitraClip®: A Meta-analysis. Structural Heart, Sept 2018 [Epub ahead of print]
2. Almomani A, Pothineni NV, Edupuganti MM, Payne J, Agarwal SK, Uretsky BF, Hakeem A. Outcomes of Fractional Flow Reserve-Based Deferral in Saphenous Vein Graft Narrowing. Am J Cardiol. 2018 Sept 1;122(5):723-728. PMID: 30064860
3. Ayoub K, Habash F, Almomani A, Xu J, Marji M, Shaw-Devine A, Paydak H, Vallurupalli. Long Term Risk of Recurrent Atrial Fibrillation and Ischemic Stroke after Post-Operative Atrial Fibrillation Complicating Cardiac and Non-Cardiac Surgeries. J Atr Fibrillation. 2018 Apr 30;10(6):1660. PMID: 29988296
4. Habash F, Gurram p, Almomani A, Duarte A, Hakeem A, Vallurupalli S, Bhatti S. Correlation Between Echocardiography Pulmonary Artery Pressure estimates and Right Heart Catheterization Measurement in Liver Transplant Evaluation. J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018 Jun;26(2):75-84. PMID: 29971269
5. Saad M, Nairooz R, Pothineni NV, Almomani A, Kovelamudi S, Sardar P, Katz M, Abdel-Wahab M, Bangalore S, Kleiman N, Block P, Abbott JD. Long-term Outcomes with Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement in Women Compared to Men: Evidence from A Meta-analysis. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Jan 8;11(1):24-35. PMID: 29055767
6. Almomani A, Hakeem A, Uretsky BF. Use of Fractional Flow Reserve in ACS. http://www.acc.org. Sept. 27, 2017. Accessed [http://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2017/09/27/07/18/use-of-fractional-flow-reserve-in-acs].
Hakeem A, Almomani A, Uretsky B. Role of FFR in The Evaluation and Management of Patients with Acute Coronary Syndrome. Current Opinion in Cardiology. 2017 Nov;32(6):767-775. PMID: 28799978
8. Pothineni NV, Edupuganti MM, Almomani A, Payne J, Raina S, Fnu S, Abualsuod A, Wong J, Uretsky BF, Hakeem A. Comparison of the Prognostic Value of Non-ischemic Fractional flow reserve using Intracoronary versus Intravenous Adenosine. EuroIntervention. 2018 Feb 20;13(14):1680-1687. PMID: 28606887
9. Agrawal SK, Kasula S, Edupuganti MM, Rania, Shailesh F, Almomani A, Payne JJ, Pothineni NV, Uretsky BF, Hakeem A. Clinical Decision-Making for the Hemodynamic “Gray Zone” (FFR 0.75-0.80) and Long-Term Outcomes. J Invasive Cardiol. 2017 Nov;29(11):371-376. PMID: 28420802
10. Agrawal S, Kasula S, Almomani A, Hacioglu Y, Ahmed Z, Uretsky B, Hakeem A. Clinical and Angiographic Predictors of Persistently Ischemic Fractional Flow Reserve after Percutaneous Revascularization. American Heart Journal. 2017 Feb;184:10-16. PMID: 27892882
11. Almomani A, Abualsuod A, Paydak H, Peer W, Maskoun W. Chronic lead malposition diagnosis and management: discussion of two cases and literature review. Clin Case Rep. 2017 Feb 1;5(3):270-276. PMID: 28265389
12. Maskoun W, Pino M, Ayoub K, Llanso O, Almomani A, Nairooz R, Hakeem A, Miller J. Incidence of Atrial Fibrillation after Atrial Flutter Ablation. JACC Electrophysiology. 2016 Nov;2(6):682-90. PMID: 29759746
13. Hakeem A, Edupuganti M, Almomani A, Pothineni N, Payne J, Abualsoud A, Bhatti S, Ahmed Z, Uretsky B. Long term prognosis of deferred acute coronary syndrome lesions based on non-ischemic fractional flow reserve. Journal of American College of Cardiology (JACC). 2016 Sep 13;68(11):1181-91. PMID: 27609680
14. Ayoub K, Nairooz R, Almomani A, Marji M, Paydak H, Maskoun W. Peri-operative Heparin Bridging in Atrial Fibrillation Patients Requiring Temporary interruption of Anticoagulation: Evidence from meta-analysis. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2016 Sep;25(9):2215-21. PMID: 27289185
15. Al Emam AR, Almomani A, Gilani SA, Khalife WI. Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection: One Disease, Variable Presentations, and Different Management Approaches. Int J Angiol. 2016 Sep;25(3):139-47. PMID: 27574379
16. Nairooz R, Ayoub K, Sardar P, Payne J, Almomani A, Pothineni NV, Shailesh F, Aronow WS, Mukherjee D. Uninterrupted new oral anticoagulants compared to uninterrupted Vitamin K antagonists in ablation of atrial fibrillation, A Meta-analysis. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2016 Jun;32(6):814-23. PMID: 26810476
17. Ramineni R, Almomani A, Kumar A, Ahmad M. Role of multimodality imaging in transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Echocardiography. 2015 Apr;32(4):677-98. PMID: 25471463
18. Al Emam AR, Almomani A, Gilani SA. Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection and Hemodynamic Instability: Can Emergent PCI Be Life Saving? Report of Two Cases and Literature Review. Int J Angiol. 2014 Dec;23(4):275-80. PMID: 25484560
19. Almomani A, Siddiqui K, Ahmad M. Echocardiography in patients with complications related to pacemakers and cardiac defibrillators. Echocardiography. 2014;31(3):388-399. PMID: 24341293
20. Almomani A, Modi S, Ahmad M. Real time three-dimensional transthoracic echocardiography in assessment of stented coarctation of aorta: a case-based presentation. Echocardiography. 2014;31(10):E310-314. PMID: 25231011
21. Patel T, Israel K, Dunn C, Almomani A, Dacso M. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-induced leukocytolcastic vasculitis. Consultant. 2014;54(2).
22. Almomani A, Morsy M, Dimaano M, Ahmad M. Incremental value of transthoracic real time three-dimensional echocardiography in assessment of a right ventricular mass. Echocardiography. 2013;30(6):E175-178. PMID: 23551136
Awards & Accomplishments
Second place award in clinical vignette presentation “Patent Formen Ovale Causing Hypoxemia After Right Phrenic Nerve Injury”. Regional American College Physicians (ACP) meeting, Galveston, Texas.
2014 Winner Poster Presentation “Antibiotic Dosing Errors Based on GFR before and after an EMR Alert”. National Kidney Foundation Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada.
2013 Second place award in clinical research “Impact of CPAP Treatment on Non-HDL and Total Cholesterol in Patient with Significant Obstructive Sleep Apnea” UTMB Quality and Research Forum Poster Competition. Galveston, Texas.
2013 Michael M. Warren Resident of The Year Award, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas.
2013 Thayer Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas.
2012 Michael M. Warren Intern of The Year Award, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas.
2009 “Medical School Outstanding Student Award” for achieving the third highest grade (87.8%) for the class of 2009 that included 320 medical students.
2003 – 2009 Annual Dean’s Honor List. Medical School, Jordan University of Science and Technology.
2003 – 2009 Awarded a full academic scholarship from the Ministry of Higher Education to attend Medical School at Jordan University of Science and Technology.
2003 Achieved the eighth highest GPA (98%) on the National High School Annual Exams in Jordan.
Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
• American College of Physicians
• American Medical Association
• Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
• American Society of Echocardiography
• American Society of Nuclear Cardiology
• National Arab American Medical Association
• Institute of Health Improvement