Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology Laboratory
We offer a comprehensive, computerized service that processes biopsy and cytology specimens from the oral cavity and head and neck region. The laboratory is staffed by two pathologist board certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. We are also supported by a major health center with a large general and specialty surgical pathology faculty.
Anne C. Jones, D.D.S.
Distinguished Teaching Professor
Dr. Jones received a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the Medical College of Virginia, School of Dentistry in 1986 and completed residency training in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology in 1989 at Booth Memorial Medical Center in Flushing, NY. She became a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial in 1991. Dr. Jones spent seven years at the University of Florida College of Dentistry before joining The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio in January of 1998. Her areas of interest include the oral manifestations of systemic diseases and web based instruction.
Stan McGuff, D.D.S
Dr. McGuff was awarded a D.D.S. degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio in 1977. The following year he completed a general practice residency in the United States Air Force at Keesler Air Force Base, MS. After practicing general dentistry for several years, Dr. McGuff pursued postgraduate training in oral and general pathology at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. He completed his training program in 1993 and became a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology in 1994. His research interests include the immunopathology of autoimmune Disease/Sjogren syndrome, histomorphometric studies of bone metabolism/wound healing, and head and neck cancer.
- Full range of sophisticated laboratory techniques
- 24-hour turn around in the majority of cases
- Results sent via customer preference: Fax, E-mail or Mail
- Fees billed directly to the patient or their insurance provider
- Accept Medicare and Medicaid
- Biopsy Submission
- 210 567-6599
- 1. Specimen containers are available through the Oral Pathology division office by fax (210) 450-2243 or email: STRLClientServices@uthscsa.edu. These mailing tube contains a laboratory requisition, specimen bottle, and specimen bottle label. All specimen bottles have appropriate warning labels concerning formaldehyde.
- 2. Label all specimen containers with patient’s name.
- 3. Fill in all information on the requisition form including the billing/insurance information, doctor name and address and place the requisition form in the mailing tube with the specimen.
- 4. Additional containers are available by emailing or faxing request.
Oral and Skin biopsies for Immunofluorescence
- Label all specimen containers with Patient Name and Identification number
- Place specimen in one vial of Immunofluorescent Transport Medium ( i.e., Zeuss Fixative available commercially from Scientific Products, Immunofix or Buffered Ammonium Sulfate Fixative )
- Specimens may be sent on saline moistened gauze, and placed in a sealed container which is kept cold during transporting.