Recent Past Fellows – 2010-2017
Asaad Elbashir, M.D.
Specialist, Private Practice, Valley Children’s Hospital, Madera, California
M.D., University of Khartoum, Faculty of Medicine, Sudan, 2003
Pediatric Residency, Royal College of Physicians, Dublin, Ireland, 2012
Pediatric Residency, Children’s Hospital of New Jersey, NBIMC, Newark, NJ, 2015
Pediatric Endocrinology Fellowship, UT Health San Antonio, 2015 – 2017
Type 1 diabetes in children; global health
Adrenal hypoplasia congenita, Research Symposium, Children’s Hospital of New Jersey, NBIMC, Newark, NJ, May 2015.
Elbashir,A. MD. and Brenner, D. MD. Central Precocious Puberty Associated with a Dax-1 (NROB1) Mutation Causing Adrenal Hypoplasia Congenita – Endocrine Society Meeting, March 5, 2015, San Diego,CA.
Elia Nila Escaname, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes at the UT Health San Antonio
B.S., Biomedical Science, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX – 2005
M.D., Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara Mexico – 2010
Pediatric Residency, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2014
Pediatric Fellowship, UT Health San Antonio, 2014 – 2017
Publications (during and post-fellowship):
- Orsi C, Rayas M, Escaname E, Hutchins, J. Chapter 8: Pediatric Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. In: Orsi CM; Rayas MS; Escaname EN, Hutchins J. Recent Advances in Pediatric Medicine Synopsis of General Pediatric Practice. 2017. p. 105-116.
- Hutchins J, Barajas RA, Hale DE, Escaname EN, Lynch JL. Type 2 diabetes in a 5-year-old and single center experience of Type 2 diabetes in youth under 10. Pediatric Diabetes 2017 Nov;18(7):674-677.
- Foster BA, Escaname E, Powell TL, Larsen B, Siddiqui SK, Menchaca J, Aquino C, Ramamurthy R, Hale D. Randomized controlled trial of DHA supplementation during pregnancy: Child adiposity outcomes. Nutrients 2017 Jun;9(6).
- Moreira A, Jacob R, Lavender L, Escaname E. Metabolic Bone Disease of Prematurity. NeoReviews 2015 Nov;16(11):e631-e641.
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas (PESTOLA).
- (January 2015). Type I Diabetes Mellitus and Epilepsia Partialis Continua in a 10-year-old male. Dallas, TX.
- Health Literacy Research Conference.(November, 2015). Assessment and Improvement of Physician Patient Health Literacy in an Ambulatory Pediatric Subspecialty clinic. Bethesda, Maryland.
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas (PESTOLA). (January 2016).XY Gonadal Dysgenesis in a Phenotypic Female with Renal Failure and Delayed Puberty. Ft. Worth, TX.
- Pediatric Academic Society.(May 2016) Percent Body Fat Using Air Displacement Plethysmography Correlates with Thigh Skin Fold in Infants of Diabetic Mother and Healthy Term Infants in largely Hispanic Population.
- Advancing Care Through Automation: Hybrid Closed Loop Minimed 670G System. (February 9, 2016/San Antonio, TX –J-Prime Steakhouse) Topics of Discussion: Clinical Evidence: Pivotal Trial of Hybrid Closed Loop System in Type 1 Diabetes; Overview of Hybrid Closed Loop System; Key Learnings from Patients & Investigators -Speaker: Francine Ratner Kaufman, MD – Medtronics
- Pediatric Grand Rounds: Clinical Pathology Conference. (March 2014). Non-immune Hydrops Fetalis. Children’s Hospital University of Illinois.
- Pediatric Academic Society. (May 2016). Randomized Controlled Trial of DHA Supplementation in Pregnancy: Results from Long-Term Follow-Up of Offspring. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Department of Pediatrics Annual Research Day. (May 2016). Randomized Controlled Trial of DHA Supplementation in Pregnancy: Results from Long-Term Follow-Up of Offspring. University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
Jessica Hutchins, M.D.
Private Practice, Pediatric Endocrinologist, Atlanta, GA 6/2016 to present
B.A. Speech, Georgia State University, 2005
M.D., Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Ga, 2010
Pediatric Residency, Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Ga, 2013
Pediatric Fellowship, UT Health San Antonio, 2013-2016
Type 2 diabetes in children; Management of childhood obesity; Effects of maternal obesity and gestational diabetes on fetus
Preissig C, Hutchins J. Thyroid and Parathyroid in Critical Illness. Comprehensive Critical Care: Pediatric, 7/2012.
- “Use of a computer-based insulin infusion method in the management of diabetic ketoacidosis in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit” Southern Society for Pediatric Research, New Orleans, La, 2/2012
- “Hypoglycemia”, Pediatric Grand Rounds, Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Ga, 12/2012 Poster Presentation: “Variation in Primitive Stem Cell Numbers in the Adult Porcine and Adult Rat Spleen”. International Stem Cell Conference Keystone Symposium, Vancouver, Canada, 3/2008
Mark Hamaker, M.D.
Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 6/2015 to present
B.S., Neuroscience, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 2004
M.D., UT Health San Antonio, 2009
Pediatric Residency, UT Health San Antonio, 2009-2012
Pediatric Fellowship, UT Health San Antonio, 2012-2015
Curriculum Development for Resident and Fellowship Training; Diabetes and the metabolic syndrome
Other Research Activities:
DiRReCT (Diabetes Risk Reduction via Community-Based TeleHealth) Project – translated curriculum into Spanish and was primary instructor for Spanish-speaking only classes.
“I know you said 19! Did you mean 9? (In the spirit of being a bit more opaque)” – a case of severe hypercalcemia in an infant. Pediatric Endocrine Society of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas, 2/2013
- Pediatric Academic Society Annual Meeting, April 2015. “Successfully Meeting ACGME Requirements and Competencies in Pediatric Subspecialties: A Pilot Study of an Online Curriculum,” San Diego, CA.
- Pediatric Endocrine Society of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas (PESTOLA) Regional Meeting, January 2014. “Development of an Adjunctive and Independent Electronic Training Curriculum for Residents in the Subspecialty of Pediatric Endocrinology”, Oklahoma City, OK.
- “Microalbuminuria is an Early Warning Sign for Vascular Dysfunction in Mexican American Children”. Poster present at: American Diabetes Association Annual Meeting, 6/2010.
- “Novel Use of a Nitinol Staple for Anterior Spinal Instrumentation’. Poster presented at: San Antonio Student Research Fair; San Antonio, TX, 7/2005.
Ana Paez, M.D.
Pediatric Endocrinologist, Children’s Diabetes and Endocrine Center of South Texas, Driscoll Children’s Hospital, Corpus Christi, TX
B.S., Biochemistry, Louisiana State University, Louisiana, 2001 M.D., Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico, 2007
Pediatric Residency, UT Health San Antonio, 2007-2010
Pediatric Fellowship, UT Health San Antonio, 2010-2013
Diagnosis, management, and long-term outcomes in patients with pediatric hypertension; cardiovascular complications of Diabetes Mellitus; Diabetes education and community resources
- “Pediatric Blood Pressure Wheel: An Efficient Tool”. Southern Society for Pediatric Research Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2/2010
- “Chronic Exenatide Infusion Increases Insulin Sensitivity, Decreases Insulin Secretion and Stimulates Islet Cell Proliferation in Partially Pancreatomized Baboons.” 48th EASD Annual Meeting in Berlin, Oct 2010 “Chronic Exenatide Infusion Increases Insulin Sensitivity, Decreases Insulin Secretion and Stimulates αβ-δ Cell Proliferation in Partially Pancratectomized Non- human Primates.” UTHSA Pediatric Research Day. 1st Place Poster, May 2012
- “p-ANCA Vasculitis Leading to Rapidly Progressive Glomerulonephritis in Type 1 diabetes.”
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Regional Meeting (PESTOLA), Fort Worth, Jan 2012
- “Pediatric Blood Pressure Wheel: a Novel and Efficient Screening Tool for Pediatric Blood Pressures.” SSPR, New Orleans, Feb 2010
- “Management of Infants of Diabetic Mother’s”. UTHSA Pediatric Residency Lecture, San Antonio, Texas, 4/2010
- “Management of the Student with Diabetes Mellitus.” School nurse educational seminar. Oral presentation given at the Education Service Center, San Antonio, Aug 2012.
- “A Retropharyngeal Abscess Presenting with Thyroid Storm.” Oral presentation. Pediatric Endocrine Society Regional Meeting (PESTOLA), New Orleans, March 2010
- Fiorentino TV, Owston M, Abrahamian G, La Rosa S, Marando A, Perego C, Di Cairano ES, Finzi G, Capella C, Sessa F, Casiraghi F, Paez A, Adivi A, Davalli A, Fiorina P, Guardado Mendoza R, Comuzzie AG, Sharp M, DeFronzo RA, Halff G, Dick EJ, Folli F. Chronic continuous exenatide infusion does not cause pancreatic inflammation and ductal hyperplasia in non-human primates. Am J Pathol. 2015 Jan;185(1):139-50. doi: 10.1016/j.ajpath.2014.09.009. Epub 2014 Nov
- Villarreal DD1, Villarreal H, Paez AM, Peppas D, Lynch J, Roeder E, Powers GC. A patient with a unique frameshift mutation in GPC3, causing Simpson-Golabi-Behmel syndrome, presenting with craniosynostosis, penoscrotal hypospadias, and a large prostatic utricle. Am J Med Genet A. 2013 Dec;161A(12):3121-5. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.36086. Epub 2013 Oct 2.
- Folli F, Corradi D, Fanti P, Davalli A, Paez A, giaccari A, Perego C, Muscogiuri G. The role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus micro-and macrovascular complications: avenues for a mechanistic-based therapeurtic approach. Curr Diabetes Rev. 2011 Sep 1;7 (5):313-24
- Kamath S, Chavez A, Gastaldelli A, Casiraghi F, Halff G, Abrahamian G, Davalli A, Bastarrachea R, Comuzzie A, Guardado-Mendoza R, Jimenez-Ceja L, Mattern V, Paez A, Ricotti A, Tejero M, Higgins P, Rodriguez-Sanchez I, Tripathy D, DeFronzo R, Dick E Jr, Cline G, Folli F. Cordinated defects in hepatic long chain fatty acid metabolism and triglyceride accumulation contribute to insulin resistance in nonhuman primates. PLoS One. 2011;6(11);e27617. Epub 2011, Nov 18