Yuguang 'Roger' Shi, Ph.D.
Joe R. & Teresa Lozano Long Distinguished Chair in Metabolic Biology, Professor of Pharmacology, Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies, and UTHSCSA
Aging is the primary driving force for the development of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular, neurodegenerative, and other aging-related diseases. However, the underlying molecular mechanisms remain poorly identified.
Dr. Yuguang (Roger) Shi’s lab focuses on translational aspects of aging-related metabolic diseases using molecular, cellular, metabolic, and transgenic approaches. Our work has recently identified a critical missing link between mitochondrial dysfunction in aging and the onset of various aging-related diseases, paving the way for the development of novel treatment for these pathogenic conditions.
We are also uncovering novel signaling pathways that regulates glucose-sensing by pancreatic beta cells, since a loss of glucose responsiveness by pancreatic beta cell is a major pathological event that triggers the onset of type 2 diabetes. The lab is recruiting graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
Ph.D., Molecular Biology, Australian National University, Australia, 1992
M.S., Genetics, University of New England, Australia, 1986
B.S., Animal Science, Northwestern A&F University, China, 1982
- Hsu, P., Liu, X., Zhang, J., and Shi*, Y. (2015). Cardiolipin Remodeling by Tafazzin Is Selectively Required for the Initiation of Mitophagy. Autophagy 11(4):643-52.
- Wang L, Liu X, Nie J, Zhang J, Kimball SR, Zhang H, Zhang WJ, Jefferson LS, Cheng Z, Ji Q, Shi Y.ALCAT1 controls mitochondrial etiology of fatty liver diseases, linking defective mitophagy to steatosis. Hepatology. 2015 Feb;61(2):486-96.
- Nie J, Liu X, Lilley BN, Zhang H, Pan YA, Kimball SR, Zhang J, Zhang W, Wang L, Jefferson LS, Sanes JR, Han X, Shi Y. SAD-A kinase controls islet β-cell size and function as a mediator of mTORC1 signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2013 Aug 20;110(34):13857-62.
- Nie J, Lilley BN, Pan YA, Faruque O, Liu X, Zhang W, Sanes JR, Han X, Shi Y. SAD-A potentiates glucose-stimulated insulin secretion as a mediator of glucagon-like peptide 1 response in pancreatic β cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2013 Jul;33(13):2527-34.
- Li J, Liu X, Wang H, Zhang W, Chan DC, Shi Y. Lysocardiolipin acyltransferase 1 (ALCAT1) controls mitochondrial DNA fidelity and biogenesis through modulation of MFN2 expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2012 May 1;109(18):6975-80.
- Li J, Romestaing C, Han X, Li Y, Hao X, Wu Y, Sun C, Liu X, Jefferson LS, Xiong J, Lanoue KF, Chang Z, Lynch CJ, Wang H, Shi Y. Cardiolipin remodeling by ALCAT1 links oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction to obesity.Cell Metab. 2010 Aug 4;12(2):154-65.
Complete List of Published Work in MyBibliography: