Mission and Vision
Our mission is to serve as a leading center for understanding and treating skin diseases through excellence in patient care services, research, and education. Our faculty is committed to the highest level of patient care. They are well recognized for their outstanding medical and surgical care they provide to their patients. Our division is set to grow and deliver highly specialized and excellent patient care services.
History of the Division of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery
1973: The Division of Dermatology was founded by Dr. Darl Vander Ploeg at the Brady Green Hospital in downtown San Antonio.
1975: the residency program welcomed the first resident class.
1989: Dr. Richard Devillez took over bringing an active clinical research program to the division. The development of Brevoxyl® gel (benzoyl peroxide) and Rogaine® solution (minoxidil) took place under his direction.
1998: Dr. Ronald Grimwood took over bringing an active immunofluorescence laboratory to the University.
2010: the Division of Dermatology moved and opened their new clinic at the Mays Cancer Center, Grossman Bldg., 3rd floor; 7979 Wurzbach Rd., San Antonio, TX 78229.
A Division in the Department of Medicine
The Division of Dermatology is one of twelve divisions housed in the Department of Medicine at UT Health San Antonio’s Long School of Medicine. Our sister divisions include:
- Janey and Dolph Briscoe Division of Cardiology
- Division of Diabetes
- Division of Endocrinology
- Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Division of General Internal Medicine
- Division of Geriatrics, Gerontology and Palliative Care
- Division of Hospital Medicine
- Division of Hematology/Oncology
- Division of Infectious Diseases
- Division of Nephrology
- Division of Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine
- Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology