Team-Based Care Training Opportunities
UT Health San Antonio’s APA accredited Clinical Psychology Internship Program offers specific training in Primary Care Behavioral Health Consultation through the Primary Care Track!
Psychology Residents within the Primary Care track have the option to complete their major rotation at two sites with one site being the Family Health Center – the continuity clinic for the UT Health San Antonio Family Medicine Residency. The other major rotation site is the primary care clinic at the Center for Health Care Services. Learners will be exposed to any and all problems across the lifespan that fall into the physical health/behavioral health spectrum, from the straightforward to the complex!
Family & Community Medicine, in collaboration with University Health, offers an American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) accredited Postgraduate Year 2 Ambulatory Care (PGY2 Amb Care) Pharmacy Residency Program. As part of their year-long training, PGY2 Amb Care Pharmacy Residents work alongside Family Medicine residents to provide team-based pharmacotherapy services within the Family Health Center (FHC). Pharmacotherapy services include providing evidence-based patient-centered medication therapy management within the FHC pharmacotherapy clinics, under the supervision of Clinical Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Faculty and the Medical Directors of the respective clinics.
- Assessing patient’s medication regimens for indication, effectiveness, safety, and adherence
- Identifying, resolving, and preventing medication-related problems
- Educating patients and caregivers about medications and chronic illness
- Managing chronic illnesses including, but not limited to, diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, congestive heart failure, CAD, anticoagulation, asthma, COPD, allergic rhinitis, GERD, cirrhosis, hypothyroidism, and osteoporosis through direct patient care under a collaborative practice agreement
- Promoting prevention of disease and illness through vaccination, age-appropriate screening, education, and linkage to care
PGY2 Amb Care Pharmacy Residents develop skills to serve as a pharmacy subject matter expert and drug information resource for prescribers, clinical staff, and patients. Additionally, PGY2 Amb Care Pharmacy Residents optimize adherence and enhance patient care by creating a comprehensive working knowledge of community resources and pharmacy benefits. PGY2 Amb Care Pharmacy Residents also assist with population health management and quality improvement activities, while educating prescribers and clinical staff on topics of interest that are pertinent to primary care.