We offer two fully accredited clinical and academic-track fellowships:
- Geriatric Fellowships
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowships
We strive to provide high-quality patient and family-centered, integrated primary and consultative geriatrics care to patients in San Antonio and throughout South Texas. We focus on optimizing health, promoting healthy active longevity, and, when chronic illnesses progress, providing compassionate care and guidance through the end of life.
Our new geriatrics clinic at the Medical Arts and Research Center (MARC) has been specifically designed to accommodate older patients. Our staff has ample experience working with older adults and assisting them to obtain needed services. In working to provide you with the best care possible we are guided by these values:
- To respect the autonomy of each patient and their family in medical decision-making
- To understand the impact of disease on your life and your family
- To manage illness within the context of your life
- To provide accessible medical care that is tailored and responds to your individual abilities environment.
As specialists trained in geriatric medicine, our clinicians are particularly skilled in the evaluation and management of common geriatric conditions such as arthritis, dementia or changes in memory, depression, diabetes, falls and immobility, incontinence, and osteoporosis.
Researchers at the UT Barshop Institute for Aging and Longevity Studies, the South Texas Veterans Health Care System Audie L. Murphy Memorial Hospital Geriatrics Research, Education, and Clinical Center (GRECC) as well as other departments and divisions throughout the medical center are conducting basic science, translational and clinical research focused on geriatric syndromes and age-associated illnesses.
Circle of Life Achievement Award 2019
A Division in the Department of Medicine
The Division of Geriatrics is one of twelve divisions housed in the Department of Medicine at UT Health San Antonio’s Long School of Medicine. Our sister divisions include:
- Janey and Dolph Briscoe Division of Cardiology
- Division of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery
- Division of Diabetes
- Division of Endocrinology
- Division of Nephrology
- Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Division of General and Hospital Medicine
- Division of Geriatrics, Gerontology and Palliative Care
- Division of Hematology/Oncology
- Division of Infectious Diseases
- Division of Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine
- Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology
Location: DTL Rm 5.579U