The distinction acknowledges medical students who demonstrate a dedicated commitment to enriching their medical education with independent research while maintaining high academic standards during medical school. Students are strongly encouraged to consider applying for the distinction as the distinction may support a competitive residence application. Decisions will be made in the early Spring of your MS4 year by the Student Research Committee. NOTE: The requirements of the MD with Distinction in Research have been updated as of July 2022.
Requirements for achieving the distinction are designed to ensure objective evaluation of merit for the distinction.
- Minimum “High Pass” GPA during medical school
- Mentor must be a UTHSCSA faculty member
- Complete at least one Medical Student Research Elective course (INTD 4210, 4211, or 4212)
- Complete ELEC 5059: Introduction to Research Study Design (this new requirement begins with the Class of 2026)
- Complete an intent to apply form to document mentoring plan by September 1 of MS4 year
- Present a research poster at the Office for Research Research Symposium held in the Spring Semester or an external research conference
- Document at least 250 hours of research activity during medical school (may include work completed during breaks and as research elective hours)
- Produce and submit to the review committee a capstone presentation and reflective summary
The student is responsible for submitting the following:
- Intent to Apply Form
- Resume, including academic record
- Personal statement, detailing how the distinction will benefit the student and the role the student has played in the research project
- Project description
- Signed Hours log
The student should work closely with their mentor when developing all application documents.
The mentor is responsible for submitting the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of reference for the student
- Signed Mentoring plan