UT Health San Antonio, as a member of the CTSA community, offers REDCap – a self-managed, secure, web-based solution that is designed to support data collection strategies for research studies. This tool provides functionality and features enabling researchers to rapidly develop databases for collecting and managing research data.
- Fast – Quick project start-up. Clinical report forms can be implemented by the do-it-yourselfer, or staff is available for a nominal charge for programming for those not having the time to do it themselves or requesting advanced features.
- Easy – Intuitive user interface and workflow, readily available online training materials and assistance from the DEB all make it easy to get started.
- Fully customizable – You are in control of shaping your database.
- Secure – Backed up offsite nightly and hosted in a secure environment maintained by Information Management and Resources (IMS).
- Web-based – Enter data or build your database from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Export data to common data analysis packages – Data export function for Excel, SAS, Stata, R, and SPSS.
- Data import capability through Microsoft Excel.
- Multi-site access – Can be used by researchers from multiple sites and institutions.
- Autonomous user management – Research groups have complete autonomy and control to assign several levels of specific user rights.
- Advanced features – Mid-study modifications, auto-validation, branching logic, and calculated fields
Access to REDCap is available to UT Health San Antonio faculty, staff, students, and residents. Access can also be granted to official partners of the UT Health San Antonio.
- All REDCap projects require a primary point of contact.
- All projects and users associated with a project will be suspended upon the departure of the Principal Investigator from UT Health San Antonio.
- PHS IS does not support the use of REDCap as “Source Documentation” for FDA-governed clinical trials.
- Use of REDCap now requires a REDCap End-User Agreement to be on file with PHS IS. Please fill out the User Account Application.
- The use of REDCap for any survey or project visible to the general public must abide by UT Health San Antonio’s style guidelines. REDCap administrators are not responsible for ensuring adherence to UT Health San Antonio style and usage guidelines.
- Any publications resulting from the use of REDCap should cite its use:
- CTSA NIH Grant UL1-RR024982 and
- Paul A. Harris, Robert Taylor, Robert Thielke, Jonathon Payne, Nathaniel Gonzalez, Jose G. Conde, Research electronic data capture (REDCap) – A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support, J Biomed Inform. 2009 Apr;42(2):377-81.
REDCap Support Services
The DEB Information Systems Division provides a number of REDCap services. A partial list is provided below:
- Training: REDCap training resources are provided on-line, regularly scheduled classes are given on campus, but we will provide customized training to small or project groups as needed.
- Project Consulting: While a majority of our users can learn and utilize REDCap on their own, nearly all benefit from one or more project consulting services to discuss form development, scheduling, features, options, and implementation.
- Project Development: For those Investigators that need support to get their REDCap projects up and running, we can provide a measure of support in actually building the REDCap projects.
IIMS/CTSA Support Services
The IIMS Research Information Systems core provides REDCap support services for all CTSA eligible scholars, investigators and project leaders. We will provide up to 12 service hours, at no cost, under the following conditions:
- A project intake form is completed to include a project summary (<200 words).
- The project is not already supported by external funding.
- The project specifies a peer-reviewed manuscript within one year of service (note, the manuscript MUST properly and formally cite the CTSA grant).
- The manuscript is submitted on or before the stated submission deadline. Failure to meet this deadline will result in a charge of expended services.
Mays Cancer Center Support Services
The PHS IS Division, funded through the Mays Cancer Center Administrative Core, provides REDCap support services for all Mays Cancer Center Investigator Initiated Studies. Investigators are initially provided with 24 hours of support but may receive additional help with Mays Cancer Center Administration Core leadership approval.