DepartmentCellular and Integrative Physiology
Chu Chen, Ph.D.
B.S., Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
M.S., Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China
Ph.D., Tulane University, New Orleans
Postdoctoral fellow, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans
The research programs in Dr. Chen’s laboratory have been focusing on neuroinflammation in health and disease. Neuroinflammation has been implicated in many brain disorders/diseases, including epilepsy, traumatic brain injury (TBI), stroke, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s disease (PD), and Alzheimer’s disease (AD). However, our understanding of the mechanisms underlying neuroinflammation in the pathogeneses and neuropathology of neurodegenerative diseases is still limited. Importantly, there are no effective therapies currently available to prevent development of neurodegenerative diseases or to halt disease progression. Research in Dr. Chen’s laboratory is in exploring cellular, molecular, and epigenetic mechanisms responsible for pathogenesis and neuropathology of AD and TBI-caused AD-like neuropathology and in identifying novel therapeutic targets for Alzheimer’s disease and TBI-induced neurodegenerative disease.
Laboratory Manager and Senior Research Associate
|Dexiao Zhu, M.D.
|Fei Gao, Ph.D.
|Mei Hu, Ph.D.
Senior Postdoctoral Fellow
|Jack B. Hashem
- Gao F, Hu M, Zhang J, Hashem J and Chen C. (2022) TDP-43 drives synaptic and cognitive deterioration following traumatic brain injury. Acta Neuropathologica. 2022 Jun 17. doi: 10.1007/s00401-022-02449-w. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35713704
- Hu M, Zhu D, Zhang J, Gao F, Hashem J, Kingsley P, Marnett LJ, Mackie K and Chen C. (2022) Enhancing endocannabinoid signaling in astrocytes promotes recovery from traumatic brain injury. Brain 145 (1): 179-193. PMID: 35136958 (Commentary in the issue: https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/145/1/7/6555921 and covered by News Media)
- Hashem J, Hu M, Zhang J, Gao F, and Chen C. (2021) Inhibition of 2-arachidonoylglycerol metabolism alleviates neuropathology and improves cognitive function in a tau mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. Molecular Neurobiology 58:4122-4133. PMID: 33939165
- Song Y, Hu M, Zhang J, Teng Z and Chen C. (2019) A novel mechanism of synaptic and cognitive impairments mediated via microRNA-30b in Alzheimer’s disease. EBioMedicine 39:409-421 PMID: 30522932 (Highlighted in this issue)
- Qian Q, Zhang J, Bao W, Zheng T, Zhou D, Zhang X, Pan H, Zhang H, He X, Sun B, Luo B, Chen C and Peng G. (2019) Downregulated expression of microRNA-338-5p contributes to neuropathology in Alzheimer’s disease. FASEB Journal 33:4406-4417. PMID: 30576233
- Zhang J & Chen C. (2018) Alleviation of neuropathology by inhibition of monoacylglycerol lipase in APP transgenic mice lacking CB2 receptors. Molecular Neurobiology 55:4802-4810. PMID: 28733897
- Song Y, Zhang J & Chen C. (2015) Fine-tuning of synaptic upscaling at excitatory synapses by endocannabinoid signaling is mediated via the CB1 receptor. Scientific Reports 5: 16257. PMID: 26541090
- Zhang J, Teng Z, Song Y, Hu M & Chen C. (2015) Inhibition of monoacylglycerol lipase prevents chronic traumatic encephalopathy-like neuropathology in a mouse model of repetitive mild closed head injury. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism 35: 443-453. PMID: 25492114
- Xu J & Chen C. (2015) Endocannabinoids in synaptic plasticity and neuroprotection. Neuroscientist 21: 152-168. PMID: 24571856
- Zhang J, Hu M, Teng Z, Tang Y & Chen C. (2014) Synaptic and cognitive improvements by inhibition of 2-AG metabolism are through upregulation of microRNA-188-3p in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Neuroscience 34:14919-14933. (Featured article in this issue) PMID: 25378159 Editor’s Commentary: http://www.jneurosci.org/content/34/45/i.full. Highlighted in Nature Science-Business eXchange: http://www.nature.com/scibx/journal/v7/n46/full/scibx.2014.1354.html
- Chen R, Zhang J, Fan N, Teng Z, Wu Y, Yang H, Tang Y, Sun H, Song Y & Chen C. (2013) Δ9-THC-caused synaptic and memory impairments are mediated through COX-2 signaling. Cell 155:1154-1165. PMID: 24267894 (Featured and highlighted in Cell : http://www.elsevier.com/connect/preventing-marijuana-induced-memory-problems-with-OTC-painkillers, Science: http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2013/11/painkillers-may-curb-memory-loss-medical-marijuana, Science Signaling: (http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/6/304/ec291), Nature: (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v503/n7477/full/503440b.html), Nature Reviews Neuroscience: (http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v15/n1/full/nrn3659.html), and covered by various news media.
- Chen R, Zhang J, Wu Y, Wang D, Feng G, Tang YP, Teng Z & Chen C. (2012) Monoacylglycerol lipase is a therapeutic target for Alzheimer’s disease. Cell Reports 2:1329-1339 (Covered by various news media). PMID: 23122958
- He H, Mahnke A, Doyle S, Fan N, Wang C, Hall B, Tang YP, Inglis F, Chen C & Erickson JD (2012) Neurodevelopmental role for VGLUT2 in pyramidal neuron plasticity, dendritic refinement, and in spatial learning. Journal of Neuroscience 32:15886-15901. PMID: 23136427
- Xu J, Zhang J & Chen C. (2012) Long-lasting potentiation of hippocampal synaptic transmission by direct cortical input is mediated via endocannabinoids. Journal of Physiology (Lond) 590:2305-2315. PMID: 22411015
- Du H, Chen X, Zhang J & Chen C. (2011) Inhibition of COX-2 expression by endocannabinoid 2-arachidonoylglycerol is mediated by PPAR-g. British Journal of Pharmacology 163:1533-1549. PMID: 21501147
- Chen X, Zhang J & Chen C. (2011) Endocannabinoid 2-arachidonoylglycerol protects neurons against b-amyloid insults. Neuroscience 178:159-168. PMID: 21256197
- Yu T, Li Z, Jia Z, Clapcote SJ, Liu C, Li S, Asrar S, Pao A, Chen R, Fan N, Carattini-Rivera S, Bechard AR, Spring S, Henkelman RM, Stoica G, Matsui S-I, Nowak NJ, Roder JC, Chen C, Bradley A & Yu YE. (2010) A mouse model of Down Syndrome trisomic for all human chromosome 21 syntenic regions. Human Molecular Genetics 19:2780–2791. PMID: 20442137
- Chen C. (2010) COX-2’s new role in inflammation. Nature Chemical Biology 6: 401-402. PMID: 20479749
- Xu J, Chen R, Zhang J & Chen C. (2010) Endocannabinoids differentially modulate synaptic plasticity in rat hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons. PLoS ONE 5:e10306. PMID: 20421986
- Sang N, Zhang J & Chen C (2010) Anandamide potentiation of miniature spontaneous excitatory synaptic transmission is mediated via IP3 pathway. Neurochemistry International 56:590-596. PMID: 20064571
- Fan N, Yang H, Zhang J & Chen C. (2010) Reduced expression of glutamate receptors and phosphorylation of CREB are responsible for Δ9-THC-impaired hippocampal synaptic plasticity. Journal of Neurochemistry 112:691-702. PMID: 19912468
- Yang H, Zhang J, Breyer RM & Chen C. (2009) Altered hippocampal long-term synaptic plasticity in mice deficient in the PGE2 EP2 receptor. Journal of Neurochemistry 108:295-304. PMID: 19012750
- Grewal S, Defamie N, Zhang X, Gois SD, Shawki A, Mackenzie B, Chen C, Varoqui H & Erickson JD. (2009) SNAT2 amino-acid transporter is regulated by osmolytes of the SLC6 GABA transporter subfamily and may play no role in delivering glutamine for spontaneous glutamatergic transmission. Journal of Biological Chemistry 284:11224-11236. PMID: 19240036
- Zhang J & Chen C. (2008) Endocannabinoid 2-arachidonoylglycerol protects neurons by limiting COX-2 elevation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 22601–22611. PMID: 18534982
- Yang H & Chen C. (2008) COX-2 in synaptic signaling. Current Pharmaceutical Design 14: 1443-1451. PMID: 18537667
- Yang H, Zhang J, Andreasson K & Chen C. (2008) COX-2 Oxidative metabolism of endocannabinoids augments hippocampal synaptic plasticity. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 37: 682-695. PMID: 18295507