The Children’s Heart Program at UT Health San Antonio is a fully integrated group which brings together multidisciplinary specialists from many units. We have been together as a group for over 30 years now. As the most cohesive program and longest running surgeon driven program in our region we have embraced a process where all care providers work collaboratively to achieve outstanding results. Our cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, anesthesiologists, perfusionists, neonatal and pediatric intensive care specialists and nurses perform in concert to treat a child throughout hospitalization. We recognize your child’s care deserves clear consistent communication and discussion of care plans with the family to optimize comfort and assure parents are well informed and involved. Our program has each key component of congenital cardiac care available 24 hours a day.
Some of our specialized features include:
- Dedicated medical and surgical intensive care units.
- Dedicated neonatal and pediatric teams available 24 hours a day to transport critically ill newborns and children.
- A state-of-the-art cardiac cath lab specially designed for children.
- Intensive Care Unit Specialized in the Care of neonates, infants and adolescents with congenital heart disease
- Cardiac ECHO lab accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL)
- Research in patient safety and quality initiatives
The providers at the Children’s Heart Program at UT Health San Antonio offer the unique combination of extensive practical experience, research, and teaching. Our surgeons provide the most advanced therapeutic options for the treatment of congenital and other pediatric heart conditions for children with even the most complex cardiac problems. In addition, only our program is staffed by exclusively ABTS Board certified surgeons.
Patients benefit from a full range of services in one location. Our all-inclusive approach allows for seamless admission, surgical, postoperative recovery, and discharge processes. And it enables us to provide the best environment possible for the comfort and care of patients and their families.