The Military Medicine section collaborates with the Department of Defense primarily through research and education partnerships. Students and faculty participate in the latest research in cutting-edge emergency medicine with our military collaborators as well as veterans.
Military City USA is home to the San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC), a centralized location that includes 3 medical facilities:
Clinical rotations include EM physician residents, EM physician assistant residents and EMS fellowship training.
In addition, the Military Medicine department partners with other major San Antonio medical organizations such as:
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences San Antonio clinical campus
- US Air Force 59th MDW health services research activity
- Naval Medical Research Unit
- Army Medical Department Center and School
- Medical Education and Training Center
Our faculty have several active research projects with the Department of Defense that have military-specific applications including but not limited to:
- Advanced Suction (combat medics)
- Brain scope device to screen for mild TBI
- POWDER clinical trial of vancomycin in open fractures
- JAARS dislocation reduction simulator
Internally, several UT Health San Antonio Emergency Medicine faculty are retired military and lend their unique experiences and training during the course of our resident and fellow didactics and clinical work.