Our mission is to provide outstanding patient-centered clinical care. As the largest Emergency Department in San Antonio, we are the ideal training site for future healthcare providers. Over 50 residency trained, board-certified emergency physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners embody our dedicated teaching staff.
- Case-based discussions and interactive learning activities
- Integrated simulation curriculum with several procedure labs
- Clinical rotation curriculum in partnership with University Hospital in the largest Emergency Department in South Texas
- Specialized research and academics in the areas of Ultrasound, Global Health, EMS, critical care, patient safety, and operational medicine
- Unparalleled Ultrasound education and one-on-one bedside training
- Preparation to work with underserved populations and work in low-resource environments to include at home and across borders
- Special activities outside the lecture hall including special competitions like this: https://youtu.be/aLre1Ydkk4s
Our residents participate in individualized learning activities to meet didactic requirements.
- Each resident must participate in 5 hours/week of didactic emergency medicine learning. Weekly conference and Grand Rounds participation primarily satisfy these requirements.
- The faculty provides a list of different asynchronous online activities to aid requirements.
Simulation is a great way to train healthcare professionals by directly practicing a resuscitation, uncommon pathologies, procedures, and complex cases in a low stakes environment.
Benefits of medical simulation include
- Developing decision-making, interventions, and procedures in real time.
- Articulating communication and developing leadership skills that will carry over to the care of patients.
- Experience in a growing field that offers scholarly and research opportunities to interested residents and student
Melissa A. Villanueva
Department of Emergency Medicine
Phone: (210) 567-4621