Physiology & Pharmacology Discipline
Dedicated students who seek the Ph.D. degree and intend to pursue research and teaching careers in Physiology & Pharmacology are encouraged to send applications to the Integrated Biomedical Sciences Program. Candidates for admission should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree with coursework in:
- Chemistry- 1 year inorganic and organic Chemistry and associated laboratory courses
- Analytical and physical chemistry recommended
- Physics- 1 Year
- Calculus- 1 Semester Calculus or Statistics
- Biology -2 years as required for Biology Majors
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – No GRE scores required
- GPA no lower than 3.0 (B) However, applications with undergraduate grade point average and GRE scores below the stated minimum of the Graduate School will be completely evaluated.
- Letters of recommendation from professors who can assess the applicant’s potential for a successful graduate career play a critical role, perhaps the most critical role, in the decision process. References should be chosen carefully so as to provide new (not redundant) information and insights into the prospective student’s probability of succeeding in graduate school.
- International Students are required to take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS). The minimum required score for the TOEFL is 68 for ibT. The minimum score for the academic version of the IELTS test is 6.5. Scores for either test must have been taken within two years of applying for admission.
Exceptions to these guidelines have been granted. As competition for available positions has become very intense, early submission of application materials is recommended.