Resident Selection Process and Event Schedule
Like some other schools, we have adopted a panel interview process that allows us to evaluate the students in a more structured setting and shortens the amount of time and hopefully stress, necessary to get an idea about the students’ fit for our program. The panel consists of the program director and 2-4 other faculty, who have not participated in any of the other evaluation committees reviewing application materials including letters of recommendation, personal statement, grades and research activities. The interview lasts 20-25 minutes and is designed with specific intent. Questions are posed to the candidate to get a feel for their ability to communicate, their outlook on life, their ability to think through a problem and their personality traits. Generally, no medical knowledge base is being examined and for many of the questions, there are no ‘right’ answers. A score for the interview is determined by the committee and submitted as a weighted component along with the others by the earlier committees. This year, students will be given the opportunity to ask current residents and faculty questions during virtual open house and meet & greet events.
At the conclusion of the interview days, a final weighted score for each applicant is calculated from the scores submitted by each committee. This becomes the basis for the preference list to be submitted to the AUA match in January. The faculty meets immediately after the interviews to review this list and make minor adjustments as needed. Once completed, the list is submitted and the process is complete.
- Visit the residency program and residency applicants pages to learn more specific information about the residency program, UT Health and San Antonio, TX
- Register for at least one virtual event starting on Tuesday, September 13, 2022. Schedule and registration information is listed below.
Virtual Open House and Meet & Greets:
- These will be set up to provide prospective applicants with direct contact with program leadership, residents and faculty
- To make your visit more interesting and helpful, please look through the pages and links in the residency program and residency applicants pages beforehand
- To register for an event please email: email@example.com
- Tuesday, September 13th (Program Director and Director of Education, Drs. Goetz and Basler) from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm CST
Meet & Greets
- Tuesday, September 27th (Faculty & Residents) from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm CST
- Tuesday, October 4th (Faculty & Residents) from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm CST
- Tuesday, September 29th (Faculty & Residents) from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm CST
- Tuesday, October 11th (Faculty & Residents) from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm CST
- Tuesday, October 18th (Faculty & Residents) from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm CST
Virtual Interviews on Monday, November 21 and Tuesday, November 22, 2022:
- If selected to interview, interview details will be communicated first through ERAS and then via email by the Program Coordinator
- The virtual interviews will be conducted via Zoom
- Once scheduled, you will be sent a meeting invite with a link to the interview day sessions
- One to three days before the interview, the Program Coordinator will contact applicants to test the virtual system and answer any last minute questions
The tentative format will include:
- A breakout room that will contain current residents in the program who can answer questions about housing, rentals, shopping, entertainment, schools, daycare, churches and other interesting facts about San Antonio and Texas
- An interview breakout room with the Faculty Panel (limited access to interviewees only, Interviews will last approximately 30 minutes each)
- An interview breakout room with another faculty member or department chairman (Interview will last approximately 30 minutes)
If you need more information about the specifics of the program, the interview process, or virtual events, please contact the office at (210) 567-5644
Jessica Goetz, D.O.
Joseph Basler, Ph.D., M.D.
Director of Education
UT Health San Antonio
Department of Urology
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
Mail Code 7845
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900