Hospital Medicine Fellowships
Our mission is to train, guide, and mentor highly motivated physicians in reaching their desired professional goals and build fulfilling careers within hospital medicine.
To achieve this, we have created a highly adaptable program with separate clinical and academic fellowships.
- Academic Medicine Fellowship: This two-year fellowship offers three distinct tracks to provide the breadth needed to develop the physicians’ desired skills in either medical education, quality improvement or research.
- Clinical Medicine Fellowship: This one-year fellowship offers rigorous, structured clinical training on hospital medicine teams in a large, bustling, tertiary care, county hospital.
We aim to create a balance by providing time, mentorship, and support to allow interested candidates to explore academic interests while honing clinical skills with patient care.
- Ease the transition between residency and faculty roles.
- Prepare fellows for successful careers in academia or private practice.
- Provide in depth training in medical education, quality improvement or research depending on the fellows’ interests.
- Enhance the competitiveness of our graduates when applying to a faculty position and leadership roles.
Fellows will be appointed at the level of Specialist in the department of Hospital Medicine.
Facilities & Resources
Train at University Hospital, a county hospital with 716 beds (300 more planned to be added as a Women’s and Children’s tower in 2022), regarded as one of America’s Best Hospitals.
The City of San Antonio, also known as the Venice of the South, is the 7th most populous city in the US but maintains its small-town feel.
"The Hospital Medicine fellowship program at UT Health San Antonio has provided me with a stellar training experience. University Hospital fosters a rich collaborative environment and is home to many different specialty services. We are exposed to a high volume of diverse patients, often with complex and varied medical and social issues. The core hospital medicine faculty are very welcoming, supportive, and have a true love for teaching. The experience has been very rewarding and has prompted me to stay on as faculty after graduation. I am very proud to be a part of such an incredible training program!" Ameer Ahmed, MD
Class of 2023