Our mission is to train, guide, and mentor highly motivated physicians in reaching their desired professional goals and build fulfilling careers within hospital medicine.
To achieve this, we have created a highly adaptable program with separate clinical and academic fellowships.
- Academic Medicine Fellowship: This two-year fellowship offers three distinct tracks to provide the breadth needed to develop the physicians’ desired skills in either medical education, quality improvement or research.
- Clinical Medicine Fellowship: This one-year fellowship offers rigorous, structured clinical training on hospital medicine teams in a large, bustling, tertiary care, county hospital.
We aim to create a balance by providing time, mentorship, and support to allow interested candidates to explore academic interests while honing clinical skills with patient care.
- Ease the transition between residency and faculty roles.
- Prepare fellows for successful careers in academia or private practice.
- Provide in depth training in medical education, quality improvement or research depending on the fellows’ interests.
- Enhance the competitiveness of our graduates when applying to a faculty position and leadership roles.
Fellows will be appointed at the level of Specialist in the department of Hospital Medicine.
Facilities & Resources
"The Hospital Medicine fellowship program at UT Health San Antonio has provided me with a stellar training experience. University Hospital fosters a rich collaborative environment and is home to many different specialty services. We are exposed to a high volume of diverse patients, often with complex and varied medical and social issues. The core hospital medicine faculty are very welcoming, supportive, and have a true love for teaching. The experience has been very rewarding and has prompted me to stay on as faculty after graduation. I am very proud to be a part of such an incredible training program!" Ameer Ahmed, MD
Class of 2023