The Histology/Immunohistochemistry Laboratory at UT Health San Antonio offers pathologists a wide-range of IHC stains for technical-only ordering. These stains can be ordered independent but if interpretation is needed, please order the appropriate consultation. Stand-alone stain and interpretations are not available unless otherwise indicated.
- Paraffin Block
- Formalin-fixed paraffin embedded tissue block
- Unstained Slides
- Cut sections at 3-4 microns
- Sections must be on coated slides Fisher Brand Super Frost Plus Coated slides
- Slides must have the accession number and patient name clearly written
- Slides must have the type of fixation written on the slide if other than formalin.
- Submit three (3) slides for each test ordered.
- Do Not heat dry slides in oven.
- The following information will be needed for submission of samples. Samples cannot be processed unless this information is provided.
- The patient’s first and last name and a second identifier (accession number) must be present on the paraffin block and/or unstained slides.
- The information on the paraffin block and/or unstained slides must match the requisition.
- Complete all the information on the Laboratory Request Form.
- Please indicate on the laboratory request form the name of the IHC marker(s) requested.
- Be sure to include the name and contact information of the referring physician.
- Specimens submitted with nonrepresentative tissue type. Depleted specimens.
- Specimens fixed in any fixative other than 10% neutral buffered formalin.
- Frozen tissue samples.
- ·Protect paraffin block and/or unstained slides from excessive heat. Transport tissue block or unstained positively charged slides in a styrofoam container with ice packs during the summer months,
- Use OVERNIGHT shipping via Fed Ex or same day Courier service.
- Laboratory hours are Monday -Friday, 7:30am – 4:30pm. No weekend deliveries.
- Send to the following address:
UT Health San Antonio
Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
San Antonio, Texas 78229
Phone #: (210)567-6599