Complex Care Pediatrics
The Comprehensive Care Clinic (CCC) is a primary care clinic dedicated to the care of children with complex medical conditions. Our program is part of the University Children’s Health group of pediatric subspecialists. This innovative medical home model, the first in South Texas, provides wraparound care for children with challenging medical needs.
We seek to bring comprehensive care to each child, offering continuity and coordination while considering family needs for sibling and caregiver support. The foundational premise to this approach is the desire to celebrate each of our special patients and the family that loves them.
- Maximize the quality of life for children with complex chronic conditions and their families through individualized care planning and coordination and the provision of state-of-the-art family centered care.
- Promote the role of the child and family in medical decision making and care planning.
- Increase quality of care for children with complex chronic conditions in San Antonio and the South Texas region.
- Provide necessary services for complex chronically ill children not usually included in medical homes to include social work, expanded care coordination, child life and nutrition/dietary support.
- Collaborate with community agencies to provide hospice and end-of-life care when necessary.
Patients accepted to CCC
- Life-limiting illness with altered life trajectory
- Chronic illness with 3 or more organ systems involved requiring subspecialty support
- Technology dependence of 2 or more organ systems such as tracheostomy or gastrostomy
- Complex pain and symptom management
- Inpatient, Outpatient, and Community based Coordinated Care.
- Same Day Appointments for sick or urgent visits
- Consultations, Co-Management and Specialty Primary Care
- 24/7 on-call access to MD
- Palliative Care
- Transition to adult care