Areas of funded research excellence include chromosome 18 abnormalities, neonatal respiratory physiology in baboon models, breastfeeding, obesity, pediatric cancer experimental therapeutics, cancer genetics, hemophilia, and late effects of anthracycline chemotherapy. Childhood cancer research is conducted at the Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute (GCCRI). A pilot program for research projects in children’s health is available through the UT Health San Antonio Joe R. & Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine. The next round of pilot project call for proposals will be in early 2019.
Pediatrics Research Forum 2019
Date: Friday, May 10, Noon to 4:00 p.m.
Location: Main Campus, Medical School Building, Room 409-410L
Purpose: To inform the University community of the quality and breadth of pediatric research taking place within the institution
Clinical Research Support Services
Our clinical research unit provides a child-friendly environment conducive to pediatric research. We provide investigators with a wide variety of services in order to help ensure they are able to conduct important research that will improve the lives of children. Goals are to:
- Promote clinical research for the children of South Texas.
- Provide infrastructure to allow full range of pediatric trials, including those involving ill children.
- Offer an environment catering to the unique needs of children and their families.
- Consolidate currently duplicated resources and effort.
- Provide the infrastructure and administrative expertise for the development of new projects especially by new investigators.
The staff can provide assistance with a variety of clinical and administrative needs such as:
- Research nursing support
- Collection of study data and biological samples
- Completion of case report forms
- Lab sample processing and shipping,
- Investigational drug storage at room temperature, and 2-8oC
- Institutional approvals and monitoring for compliance
- Institutional Review Board
- Facility utilization review
- Budget preparation
- Financial tracking
- Billing for procedures
- Patient incentives
- Informed consenting
- Budgeting and negotiation
- Account management
- Agreement/ Contract Review
Robin Tragus, RN, MSN – Research Nurse Supervisor, UT Health San Antonio
Jannine Cody, PhD – Scientific Director
Dana Word, RN