- Three large hospitals (University Hospital, South Texas VA and SAMMC) that provide exposure to complementary and diverse patient populations and environments of care.
- An emphasis on work-life balance facilitated by the substantial size of the fellowship program and advanced practitioners.
- Night float system enhancing quality of life and abolishing fatigue among fellows.
- Multiple electives and track opportunities (Cardiorenal, interventional nephrology and critical care) to foster a broad clinical exposure tailored to the interest of the fellow.
- Significant contributions to the innovations in renal medicine, including the NIH-sponsored Kidney Precision Medicine Project (KPMP) and several other clinical trials supporting a multitude of clinical, translational and bench research opportunities to the fellows.
- Hands-on training in a 5-star rated and one of the largest free standing outpatient dialysis programs in Texas which also provides training in home dialysis and medical directorship.
- Travel support to interested fellowship applicants to help offset interview cost.
- 100% track record in job placement.
The philosophy of our physician and scientist educators is illustrated by the following quotations:
“Provide the basic concepts in such a simple way that these become black and white and then work with the learners to mix grey to build their deep understand and passion for the subject.” – Shweta Bansal, M.D.
“Instill the love of lifelong learning by helping students taste the joy of scientific reasoning. I take pride in creating meaningful concepts by intercepting and helping them find the missing pieces.” – Chandandeep Takkar, M.D.
“The nephrology fellowship is an exciting period in the lives of young doctors when they learn the art of medicine while understanding the fundamental basis of electrolyte disturbances and renal diseases. At UTHSA, we enrich this learning experience adding the principles of precision medicine.” – Kumar Sharma, M.D.
Apply to our program
|Shweta Bansal, MD, FASN||Program Directoremail@example.com||210-567-5338|
|Tareq Nassar, MD||Associate Program Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org||210-567-4700|
|Jesse Wickham, DO, FACP, Lt Col USAF, MC||Associate Program Directoremail@example.com||210-916-7809|
Living in San Antonio
A modern, vibrant city, rich in heritage with colorful personality forged across three centuries. Its unique mixture of native Mexican, German and Spanish influence is noticeable in the city’s distinctive architecture, music, arts, and cuisine.
Reflections on Program by Fellows
“Between fulfilling clinical duties and encouraging a strong academic environment, UT Health SA Nephrology is able to guide fellows well by striking a unique balance, a feat that is difficult to achieve in a busy training program. Finally, this fellowship combined civilian and military fellows, which allows for the wonderful and rewarding perspective of taking care of patients in all aspects of the military”.
“The reputation of UT Health San Antonio fellowship is one of extremely strong clinical rotations in a tertiary care center with robust research support. Being centered in a metropolitan area as large as San Antonio allows for understanding and treating a wide gamut of patients and renal pathology.”
“I chose to come to the fellowship due to excellent reviews and recommendations from multiple alumni that it is a nice program, the attendings are super nice and are fantastic teachers …… the great experience I would receive. A great location where my family could enjoy the city and amenities“
“The motto of our program is to change the status quo in nephrology. We provide training not only to develop confident nephrologists managing hyponatremia, glomerulonephritis and chronic kidney disease but also ready to lead and practice comprehensive nephrology independently in dialysis units, ICU (critical care track), cardiovascular centers (cardiorenal track), interventional suites (IN track) and academic settings.”
-Dr. Shweta Bansal, Program Director