The curriculum provides a diverse and balanced foundational experience for our interns. The broad exposure to general and subspecialty areas allows trainees to develop their skills and explore interests all while preparing them for the advancement of responsibility that comes in the following years. The rotations consist of General Pediatric Wards, Pulmonary, Gastroenterology, Newborn Care – both normal and intensive, Hematology/Oncology, Ambulatory Care, Endocrinology, and one elective. The clinical experience is supplemented by teaching conferences covering a broad range of medical topics – these occur both at the hospital and in our clinics downtown. Every intern is assigned to a House Team with members of each class to provide a support and mentorship system and to engage in fun activities throughout the year.
At the completion of their intern year, our residents assume team leadership and teaching responsibilities for both students and interns. Required inpatient rotations during the second-year include General Pediatric Wards, Hematology/Oncology, Cardiology, Critical Care, Neonatology, Newborn Care, Emergency Medicine, Neurology and Adolescent Medicine. In addition to the required curriculum, the second-year resident has two months of electives and can choose from a broad range of clinical disciplines. Rotations for the third-year resident include overall ward supervisory and admitting resident with Night Float, Critical Care, Emergency Medicine, Nephrology, Behavior and Development. Senior house staff have four months of electives to choose from, which includes an academic month that can be dedicated to board study or research
UT Health San Antonio
Department of Pediatrics Housestaff Office
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MC 7816
San Antonio, TX 78229-3900
Resident Career Development Sessions
We host several workshops throughout the year focused on the unique needs at each level of training:
- PGY 1 Intern Orientation/Boot Camp – Intensive preparation for the transition to internship with an emphasis on acquiring fundamental communication and critical thinking skills to poise you for success.
- PGY 1 Intern Retreat – Early fall, 2 days off campus, focused on team building, teaching skills, giving and receiving feedback, and resilience. Interactive, engaging workshops, and plenty of time for fun!
- PGY 1 Leadership Workshop – Late spring of intern year, off campus, 1 day devoted to preparing for the role of upper level resident with workshops and interactive sessions on leadership, managing a ward team, and conflict resolution. After all of the workshops, the residents have the opportunity to unwind and enjoy a class social event.
- PGY 2 Leadership Workshop – Late spring, in preparation for rising to final year of training.
- PGY 3 Peds to Practice Workshop – Early fall, emphasis on all aspects of job search and next steps in career planning.
- PGY 3 Fellowship Application Workshop – Spring, review ERAS, NRMP, application timeline, and dos and don’ts as well as mock fellowship interviews.
“The most important thing for me in picking residency was knowing that I’d be surrounded by a good support system, because no matter where you go, residency will be tough. This program met and exceeded that goal for me. I’m surrounded by compassionate humans, and I feel like I have found a little family in my UT Health San Antonio co-residents. In addition, the faculty are extremely knowledgeable and nurturing, creating the environment that I was searching for in my training program.”
Asha Thomas, MD
Class of 2022